Saturday, June 30, 2018

Modern Day Elvis

My son is 14 years old, thin and handsome, with sandy blond hair and blue eyes.  He is a bit taller than some, and has a caring and gentle demeanor.  He is somewhere past “girls are icky” to where they are not, yet he has not dated nor had any “special” friends.  He is currently on a mission trip to the Philippines.  He does not like to dance, and he usually does not sing, yet to Philippino girls he is a celebrity. 

I was only a young child when Elvis Presley died, yet I remember seeing how young women would turn into screaming mobs who would crowd around Elvis and swoon.  I really can’t imagine how that must have made him feel, and I never thought I would see a crowd of girls act that way to my introverted 14-year-old son. The pictures are priceless. 

Mission trips sometimes show us a side to ourselves that we do not always get to see.  Sometimes we are more creative and adventurous.  Sometimes we are pushed emotionally and physically.  Often we feel grateful for the blessings we have.  And at times, especially if we are a young American man who does karate, you will be mobbed by young Philippino school girls. 

So what is one to do?  Sometimes all we can do is roll with it. My son politely smiled and let the mob take selfies with him.  

When life throws us the unexpected, we may just have to make the best of it.  And who knows, we might get some good memories, and some good pictures, out of the adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment