Friday, March 30, 2018

Peace in the Soul

Today I am RV camping with my family at a local state park.  This morning I am sitting in a folding chair looking out at the lake and up at the birds.  I am listening to the gentle sounds of nature—the wind blowing through the trees and the birds chirping in the distance.  For the moment, I have peace in my soul.

It does us well to take captive moments like this.  I have tasks pending at work, a difficult patient situation for which I am concerned, and challenges brewing with some extended family members.  Yet right here, in this moment, I have peace in my soul.

Jesus says “Fear not, for I am with you.”  His death on the cross was for us, so that he could come live in us.  The Holy Spirit, alive in us, has the power to do so much, and yet we let the struggles of today make us turn away.  The result is worry, fear, pain, heartache.  Right now, I have none of that, for in this moment, however short that may be, I have peace in my soul.

What worries you today?  Perhaps sitting in a quiet place, where you can stare up at nature and bask in the presence of God’s glorious creation, will help you trust Him more.  Take that memory captive, and refer back to it as often as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment