Sunday, December 27, 2015

Telling Time by Bucket Dumps



One of the reasons I started this blog was to have a platform for other essays I have written in the past. Today my family is taking a long-weekend trip to the Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine, TX.  It seems relevant to post this essay now, written during our last trip on 12/27/13.

Telling Time by Bucket Dumps


Sitting and resting is not something I do well as often as I should.  We opted to do a weekend getaway to the Great Wolf Lodge for Christmas Break, and I took a few days off of work.  I went “off the grid,” so to speak.  No answering messages or attending to clinic needs.  After spending the beginning of the fall transitioning from the resignation of one of my partners, and the end of the fall covering for another provider who was on medical leave, I opted for a much needed break.

The Great Wolf Lodge has an indoor waterpark, with a large bucket that dumps water every few minutes.   After playing with the kids in the wave pool, lazy river, and tube rides, we opted to retreat to the adults-only hot tub.  I sat there watching the bucket dump.  Our kids are in the water castle right across from us playing in the water features.  Two Bucket dumps. 

Have you ever noticed that being still and resting is much easier in a hot tub.  I have energy in the legs to run amok in a waterpark….until I get in the warm bubbles.  Then I sit there in a stupor thinking of nothing, watching the bucket dump.  Three bucket dumps, my kids wave to us happily.

The rules were that the kids, who are very good swimmers, can go where they want in the water park, as long as they stay together.  Three Bucket dumps, now I have not seen them in a while.  I guess they went elsewhere. 

Four Bucket dumps.  I’ve been in here a long time, and we really should find our kids.  Okay, I’m going in just another minute. 

Five Bucket dumps, okay now we’re really getting out.

We looked all around for them….the wave pool, the lazy river, the tube rides, the castle.  Seven, then eight bucket dumps. Even looked in the kiddie pool, which we really did not think they would visit.  And where were they?  Tucked in the side of the waterpark, in the corner, was the kids-permitted hot tub.  Okay that makes sense.

Nine Bucket dumps….  I love this place.



No comments:

Post a Comment