Tuesday, December 29, 2015

All is Well When You Hug the Mushroom


Too much of the time, silliness is lost in our serious culture.  This gets everyone all bound up in knots.  Too many people live their life frustrated and bitter, but it is amazing what a little bit of laughter can do. Sometimes you need to watch a funny movie.  Sometimes you need to watch a comedy stand up routine.  Sometimes you need to hear your favorite song from high school.  And sometimes you need to hug a mushroom.

As I posted two days ago, my family is currently on a trip to the Great Wolf Lodge.  I have enjoyed seeing my husband be silly with our kids, shooting people with the water cannons and laughing on the tube rides.  My kids are quickly starting to get too old to enjoy the children’s water fort present in many water parks.  So when my daughter acted silly and encouraged me to come with her under the big water mushroom and hug the base, I happily complied.

There is a reason why families should go on vacation if they are financially able.  The time away from our hustle and bustle can be a much needed relief.  But this essay is not about going on vacation and spending money.  It is about going different places and feeling free to act silly without worrying about what others might say or think.  After all, I don’t know any of these people anyway, other than my three other traveling companions known as my family.  I cherish the time they are willing to be silly along with me.


So wherever you are right now, at home, at work, or at play, take some time to be silly.  Remember what it feels like to have a big belly laugh.  As a physician, I have seen the power of a positive attitude as patients are healing from illnesses and injuries.  Those that can laugh at themselves fare the best. Laughter really is good medicine. 

1 comment:

  1. You hit it right on spot!! I watched War Room last night and it was so powerful and really has lifted me up out of the depression and bitterness I had toward families and friends. I began to see things from a different perspective. I am so thankful for things that come out to divert us from our negative world. Today I'm challenged to look at the positive each time the negative. John 10:10 - the thief comes to steal, kill and destroy - - So, with that said - In the name of Jesus - I command the said thief to leave me alone!!!

    ReplyDelete