Saturday, July 23, 2016

The Search for Integrity in Uncomfortable Places

Being a person of integrity is not an easy thing sometimes.

It's hard to go against the grain when it seems like you're the only one who has the perspective to question the mainstream opinion. In my 20 years of leadership service, I have seen how one solid comment can change the tone of an entire conversation. Most of the time this is for the better. Sometimes it's not. But the power of words has been clearly demonstrated in times like these.

So what should one do when an entire boardroom seems to have an opinion different from their own?  What should that lone board member do?  Being a person of integrity requires them to speak up. Sometimes that is a very awkward and uncomfortable situation.

Recently I was called to speak to the leadership of a group with whom I serve.  To summarize, my vote differed from the vote of everyone else. Our group always usually has unanimous votes, and the leadership was uncomfortable when that didn't occur. I am grateful that they asked to hear my perspective. But there is no question that I felt awkward and uncomfortable entering into that meeting.

What a comfort it is to know that God is good all the time. God knows what's going to happen. God is always with me. As I read through the "armor of God", I think about having my feet "fitted with the gospel of peace." Your feet are what take you places. We should use our feet to carry us, along with the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, the shield of faith, and the helmet of salvation, towards the goal of the peace.  And with the sword of the Spirit, which his the Word of God, we should speak through our mouths with words of integrity.

James talks about the tongue being a "ruthless evil full of deadly poison (James 3:8)." It is easy to see how negative discussions could break down into an unproductive session of anger and resentment. But if all parties enter into a discussion with truth, righteousness, salvation, and faith, with the intention of finding peace, submitting to God's authority for their words, the power of God will be palpably present in that meeting room.

As you walk into uncomfortable situations, let your feet take you towards a goal of peace. As for the meeting I was worried about, it says a lot about the integrity of the leaders that they asked for a meeting with me in the first place.  It was clear that they brought their integrity to the meeting as well, and it was a peaceful and productive experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment