Saturday, July 16, 2016

Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, Doggy Doggy Eats Here

One of the joyful pleasures of motherhood is the simple love expressed from our small children. My children are quickly growing up. The texture of our relationship changes as they change, and I am humbled and encouraged seeing them become young adults. Not long ago, my son created a scavenger hunt for his dad and me, with silly riddles that led us around the house. At this point I don't even remember what the prize was, it is the journey to the prize that fills my heart.  

In Psalm 139:23-24, David writes:
"Search me O' God and know my heart. 
Test me and know my anxious thoughts. 
See if there is any offensive way in me 
and lead me in the way everlasting."   

"Test me" he says.  At a young age David was anointed king, but was not to become king until the death of Saul in battle. He spent years in hiding, on the run, being chased by Saul who was envious of him. Saul tried to change his ordained future with his own personal actions. Of course, that did not work out for him. And he did not know he was being used by God to strengthen David, to turn David into the best king of Israel. 

Why was it that my son's scavenger hunt filled my heart? It was because I knew it took an hour or more for him to make the strips of paper, and plant them around the house. I saw the joyful anticipation on his face as we moved from one riddle to the next.  If we could see the riddles of life as God's joyful way of preparing us for something greater, how would that change our perspective?

A life without conflict is not a life worth having. A marriage without conflict will not grow. A Christian without conflict will have a harder time trusting God in the deepest, darkest places of their life. Sometimes it is the "journey to the prize" that matters the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment