Thursday, June 20, 2019

Dandelion “Snow”

My son and I had an interesting experience when we were walking out of the hotel room to breakfast during our trip in Alaska.  White tufts were floating in the air, similar to what we see during the scant snowstorms in Texas.  It would seem that Alaska has another kind of “snow” that falls in the spring, which is the white seed tufts from dandelions and willow trees.  It was pretty, yet it was not snow.

It is interesting that everything is not always as it seems.  It seemed to be snow, yet clearly was not. My daughter had said she hoped to see snow during this summertime trip to Alaska.  Thus far this is as close as she has gotten.

Later on our hike in the woods we saw many dandelions and willow trees with seedheads a plenty, and my mind went back in time when I would blow dandelion seedheads and make a wish.  I was impressed how hard it was to blow all of the seeds off of the seedheads with one blow.  My family and I had fun trying.  I even took a picture of my husband and kids all blowing the seedheads together, creating their own tuft of “dandelion snow.”

These simple things can easily take us back in time to the innocence of childhood, and remind us to marvel over the glorious details in the Earth’s creation.  What a blessing to be a tiny part of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment