Saturday, September 1, 2018

A New Taste of Freedom

As a common rite of passage after the sixteenth birthday, many teens learn to drive.  We just passed this milestone in my own family.  My sweet daughter, active in many school clubs and a social butterfly, just got her driver’s license.  In the past 24 hours she took herself to-and-from marching band, FFA, and praise band activities.  Three separate events, for which my husband or I would have been chauffeur, now done independently.  A win for her, and a win for us. 

Sometimes growing up is a bit scary.  New independence also means new risks and new fears.  How one balances this is the big question.  

For my daughter, she has had lots of driving practice and good training.  She is driving a safe vehicle, and she has good friends.  She does not crave speed, and does not intentionally exceed the speed limit.  This does not eliminate the risks, or our fears, yet it helps.  

Today I am sitting in the shade by my pool, drinking a sparkling water and enjoying a day of rest despite my daugther’s busy schedule.  Just two days ago, I would have been tied to her schedule too.  This doesn’t mean that I have no fear about her driving on her own, or that I don’t think about her often.  Yet I have been able to focus my mind on the joys of this occasion rather than on the scary “what if’s” which would have ruined the joy of this transition. 

Perhaps that is the learning point for today.  The battle for our emotions is usually won or lost in our mind.  If we focus on the worries, we will be worried.  If we focus on the joy and other benefits, we will be at peace.  

I know my daughter felt a little awkward driving independently for the first time, yet the joy of this new independence overrode those fears.  She is growing up, and will have many opportunities in her life to face challenges and risks.  I pray that they be as successful as this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment