Thursday, March 10, 2016

Help My Spanish is Tired


I just got back from a brief mission trip to an indigent care clinic organized by Mission Arlington in Arlington, Texas.  I continue to be amazed at the resourcefulness of our youth, and their desire to serve and lead. 

During this trip, I found myself in the middle of a clinic where a large percentage of the patients did not speak English.  Our youth leader asked me to scope out the clinic and decide how our students could serve in that ministry.  While most of our youth were involved with service projects elsewhere and a backyard bible club, some could serve in the clinic.  One came and happily filed charts and papers for hours.  Another moved all around the clinic fetching this and that with a committed desire to help.  And one served the entire day as a bilingual Spanish interpreter.  The need for bilingual services was so great that he stayed well past the requested time, and was clearly physically and emotionally drained by the end of the day.  While he is truly bilingual, translating medical symptoms, terms, and instructions is difficult and put him in a very important and sometimes uncomfortable position many times.  Two pastors from our church came to visit the clinic and give encouragement, and it was apparent during their visit that my bilingual assistant was mentally fatigued.  To put it poetically, “his Spanish was tired.”  He stayed several hours after that anyway.

Not only was he helpful to me, but this student’s bilingual services were shared all around the clinic.  A visiting orthopedist treats patients there on a regular basis, and clearly uses this as a ministry to lead people to Christ.  My bilingual assistant was in the room with this orthopedist for extended periods several times, translating the salvation message while this physician shared the gospel intently with three patients.  As a ninth grader, I doubt this student has had the confidence or the opportunity to witness to people like this.  But he got to learn how to do it from an experienced Christian, while serving as his interpreter.

Our youth pastor speaks of hitting a “wall” where we sometimes are physically, emotionally, and spiritually exhausted. He sees this as a good place to be, because it is in those moments that the indwelling Holy Spirit takes over.  The idea of witnessing to and praying with people can be intimidating, yet this student got to practice this three times. When he was tired and wanted to rejoin his friends, the Holy Spirit acted through him as the willing vessel ready to be used for God’s purpose.  Put simply, when his Spanish was tired, the true Master was ready to take over.


In the end, I am constantly reminded of three truths:  1) God is good all the time, 2) God knows what is going to happen, and 3) God is always with me. Just as He was with my young Spanish translator, He is also with me, and He is with you if you have accepted Jesus into your heart.  If you need to learn how to do this, I’d be delighted to share that path with you.  But if you don’t feel comfortable talking with me, there are other options.  I know an awesome ninth grade student who can share the path with you as well, in English or Spanish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment